Monday, July 5, 2010

Picky Potato Salad

I've learned a few things about my Grammie by sifting through her cookbooks this past week. While there are many handwritten recipes in her book, most of them are copied down from family and friends. Besides that though there are pages upon pages of calendar, magazine and flyer clippings with recipes. If she's tried them, she usually puts her stamp of approval (good, very good!) on the top right corner of the page. Sometimes there are little notes written all over the paper with improvements on the original recipe. I have unwittingly been doing the same thing for years with a little cookbook my mother assembled for me one year. This blog is really my way of sharing some of those favourite recipes with my own little improvements. In honour of Grammie's willingness to try other people's favourite recipes, I'm posting a family favourite from my husband's parents. I don't know for sure if today's recipe is in her cookbook, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it there. This recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine originally. After looking through Grammie's cookbook, I doubt that there's a recipe from the last 50 years that she didn't clip and put in her binder. This one, I assure you, is worth trying and sharing. Perfect for BBQs, potlucks, cold suppers, or just because. Once you try this recipe for potato salad, you'll never want to buy the bright green stuff from the grocery store again.

Just so you know, the actual recipe title is Perfect Potato Salad, but I call it Picky Potato salad because I'm picky and have a tendancy to omit a lot of ingredients. haha. The only parts you absolutely can't omit are the condiments and spices. Oh, and of course the potatoes!

3 cups cooked potatoes (cut in chunks and allowed to cool)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup chopped onion (guess what? I omitted them!)
1/4 cup sweet relish
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 hard-cooked eggs (I omitted these this time, but more for time constraint, they're great!)
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 cup sliced celery (omitted, but only because I didn't have them handy, also a nice touch)
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard

Sprinkle potatoes with sugar and vinegar. Add all remaining ingredients and garnish with slices of egg if desired. Serve cold.

Enjoy your cooking!

2 comments:

  1. Delicious!!!
    This is actually similar to one of the recipes from my Grandmother in Russia :) I wonder how much our Grandmothers have in common, kitchen-wise!

    May I share?

    VEGETABLE AND EGG SALAD:

    3 hard-boiled eggs, cut into pieces
    1 can of corn
    Boiled potatoes in skins, cut into pieces
    2 onions (dice and splash once with boiled water to soften)
    200g mayonnaise
    1 cucumber, sliced

    Mix all these together and serve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks great. My husband loves the sound of it too. The corn and cucumber are such a unique additional, they have me intrigued!

    You're ALWAYS welcome to share. This blog is about remembering and sharing. I'm sure both of our grandmothers would get a kick out of us swapping recipes (even if it's over this crazy interweb technology)!

    ReplyDelete