Saturday, July 10, 2010

7-Up Cake

It's been a few days so I thought I'd put up a fun little recipe I found in my Grammie's cookbook. I've never made cake from scratch, so when I saw this little number I couldn't resist. It was so easy I couldn't believe it! All the ingredients are pretty common too. I think it's funny that my Grammie decided to include this recipe in her cookbook. Using pop as an ingredient is funny and clever, and surprisingly effective. I hope you all enjoy the recipe!

Ingredients:
3 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups margarine
5 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp lemon extract
3/4 cup 7-Up

Cream sugar and margarine. Add eggs one at a time, beating them well. Fold in the extract and flour gradually. Lastly, add the 7-Up. Have fun folding it in at the bubbles made me giggly like a child. The batter will be thick but uniform once you've carefully mixed in the 7-Up. Bake in a bunt cake pan, or even two bread pans. Cook for 1 hour or more until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan.

If you choose to ice yours, I would suggest making a lemon-flavoured icing to kick it up a notch. I would do that by simply adding 1 tsp of lemon extract to whatever icing you like. I'd say folding some into some whipping cream and then using that as a frosting would be great. I made mine in two bread pans so I served it like a loaf.

Another fun idea would be to switch up the pop to get different flavours. You could switch it to cream soda and then stir in some cherries! With all the new flavours of pop out there, your choices are unlimited. My only advice would be to make sure you have something extra to boost the flavour, either in your cake or in the icing as just the pop without the flavouring comes out like just a plain pound cake with a lingering taste of something!
Enjoy your baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment