Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Squares

First, a confession. This recipe was actually for Lemon Coconut Squares, but I don't like shredded coconut that much, whereas I love anything lemon poppyseed. I'll put the place to alternate with coconut for those of you who like it.

I liked this recipe from the second I set eyes on it. We were having a dinner party on Friday with a pair of delightful newlyweds, and I wanted to make something light and easy. I remember from being a newlywed that when you're first married, everyone wants to see you, to take that time they couldn't at your wedding to talk to you about the joys of married life and to congratulate you in person. With that in mind, I didn't want to make a big heavy dessert but something light and delicious to end an simple meal. After reading the recipe in my Grammie's cookbook, I didn't recognise it, but after taking my first bite the lemon brought me back to her kitchen again. I remember her making them up for a church social or a bake sale. I shouldn't say I remember that, what I DO remember is her letting me have a bite of one that didn't cut nicely enough. I found this sweet and funny because the reason I was taste-testing that exact piece in my own kitchen so many years later was because it didn't look pretty enough on the plate. As the old saying goes, the more things change, the more they stay the same. That little moment reminded me so strongly of the innocence of youth and the love and indulgence my Grammie had for me when I was a little girl. I am her only granddaughter, and the inheritor of so much more than her engagement ring, but also of the desire to share my love with friends and family through a handful of well-honed recipes. My relationship with my Grammie was anything but perfect, so I'm happy to hold on to the memories of simple times in her beautiful kitchen, watching her effortlessly whip up another treat.

Now, the recipe!

1 cup flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup margarine
2 tablespoons poppy seed (or 3/4 cup shredded coconut)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking power
2 tablespoons lemon juice (I actually put 3 tablespoons to pump up the flavour)

Mix flour, icing sugar and margine together thoroughly until it becomes soft and crumbly. Press crumb mixture in the bottom of a 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes to set the bottom. If you're using coconut, once that's done sprinkle the set base with coconut.

Beat remaining ingredients together and pour over top of set crust. Bake 20 to 30 minutes longer. You'll know it's done when a sharp knife comes out of the top relatively clean. Let cool, cut and serve. Eat any pieces you think aren't pretty enough to share.


Enjoy your baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment