Thursday, July 1, 2010

An Introduction of Sorts

First of all a little about me. Some would consider me a newlywed with almost 4 years of marriage under my belt, but I'm also a new Mom. I have (so far) three beautiful babies. My oldest, a little girl, will be three in September. My second is a boy, and he's 16 months. My youngest is just two months old, and he's also a little boy. We live a truly blessed life full of diapers, potties, peanut butter kisses, time outs, of course, lots of love. We may not be perfect, but we're us. I remember when we were at the hospital for the delivery of our third, our very wise nurse told me that there are no perfect deliveries, only perfect babies. I feel like we've been lucky thrice over with our children. Enough bragging though, or you'll get too bored.

Now, for the concept of this blog. With the birth of our third, I became acutely aware of the fact that I now have a family the same size as my parents and maternal grandparents had. Now, my memories of my family close and extended are not perfect, but I have my fair share of beautiful memories down in the country with my mother's family. Most of those revolved around the kitchen with my Mum and my Grammie. There were many successes, and a few disasters that are still notorious today. Let's just say my Grammie wasn't the best cook, but what she did know she did very well. Her cookbooks are full of food that I consider even today to be comfort food.

Let it be said though, while my Grammie was a passable cook, she was an excellent baker. I can't remember a recipe that she couldn't make to perfection. Every church bake sale table at her small community church was full of her pies, cookies and squares. Now, she passed on this amazing skill to my mother, and I'd like to think to me too. It took me two kids to really try baking on my own (it was usually a social activity when I was a kid). I'm not going to say I've mastered the art of baking, but I have a few staple baked goods I can whip up with ease.

My plan over the next little while is to share my favourite recipes, and maybe some memories too. I hope you'll follow me along this journey to rediscover my Grammie through the dusty pages of her old cookbooks and share her with you. As we add recipes, I hope you'll come to love her as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment